[Webtest] Dynamic field naming

C Roskelley webtest@lists.canoo.com
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 06:11:03 -0800 (PST)

I agree w/ Dierk about using the language that is
closest to the program / programmer for unit testing.
I see tools like WebTest being more and more used by
the customer to define their acceptance/functional
tests.  (Of course this is called a wish, but who
knows it might come true :)

On my project I'm going to try and integrate
Ant/WebTest into out bug reporting system.  My project
is a maintance release, so the core web interface has
been established for quite sometime, that's not always
good.  However, it allows me to quickly create an
interface for our users to enter some of the critical
pieces of data and the expected results and outputting
a WebTest xml file, that will be added to the
acceptance testing suites.  Currently as problems come
in I'm writting a WebTest for it and I'm finding, for
my app, that there is quite a recognizable pattern
forming.  (I just thought of the idea in the shower
this morning so we'll have to see if I can do it.)

In the future, for web apps, I think it might be
possible for the customer to use a nice GUI to define
some of this Input, Expected Output kinds of
acceptance tests and tools like Ant and WebTest would
be the engines that execute it.  Again it might just
be a wish, but wishes can come true!

Chris