[Webtest] Webtest missing javascript functionality

Julieta Lee webtest@lists.canoo.com
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 11:09:34 -0700

WebUnit is fine if you're only going to test on a Microsoft platform.  Quote
from WebUnit docs: "You must have The Microsoft JavaVM.  If you wish to
build webunit you will need to install the Microsoft Java Development Kit."
I personally prefer HttpUnit as it is not tied to any specific browser or
platform.  You can even instantiate your own JavaScript engine.
However, it would be nice if Webtest would include JavaScript support.  I've
used Webtest successfully to automate all my web testing, except for the
pages that use JavaScript.  It's really a great tool for our test team since
most of the testers here can't use Java to write their scripts.  I've spent
lots of time evaluating HTMLUnit and HttpUnit.  Both tools have some
JavaScript support, although not entirely documented or fully stable.  So I
decided to wait until the stable releases come out, especially since some of
the source code is subject to change without notice.  I am also eagerly
awaiting to see what the good people at Canoo decide to do about JavaScript.