[Webtest] haltonfailure bug?

webtest@lists.canoo.com webtest@lists.canoo.com
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 12:35:55 +1000

------=_NextPart_000_0000_01C27510.807DF4A0

Well, this looks like an error in the documentation.

haltonfailure: Defines that the excution of the current <testSpec> stops if
a failure of one of the test steps is detected, e.g. a <verify...> test did
not pass.

This implies that when it is set to "false" execution of the current
<testSpec> DOES NOT STOP if a failure of one of the test steps is detected,
ie, all subsequent tests are executed.

>From the documentation, it would appear that haltonerror allows ANT to
continue, and haltonfailure allows the testspec to continue.

Hi Dan,

haltonfailure=false
means to proceed with your ANT script, although your current test spec
fails. The processing will proceed with your next test spec, not your
next test step in the failing test spec.

I guess you have a rather large test spec with lots of steps that get
executed in sequence. The solution would be to break this into smaller
test specs.

We found that it is useful to have one test spec per "scenario", i.e.
one path through your "use case", talking in UML terms.

cheers
Mittie

------=_NextPart_000_0000_01C27510.807DF4A0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3DWindows-1252">
6.0.5762.3">
<TITLE>RE: [Webtest] haltonfailure bug?</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<!-- Converted from text/plain format -->

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Well, this looks like an error in the =
documentation.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>haltonfailure: Defines that the excution of the =
current &lt;testSpec&gt; stops if a failure of one of the test steps is =
detected, e.g. a &lt;verify...&gt; test did not pass.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>This implies that when it is set to &quot;false&quot; =
execution of the current &lt;testSpec&gt; DOES NOT STOP if a failure of =
one of the test steps is detected, ie, all subsequent tests are =
executed.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>From the documentation, it would appear that =
haltonerror allows ANT to continue, and haltonfailure allows the =
testspec to continue. </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; -----Original Message-----</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; From: Dierk Koenig [<A =
HREF=3D"mailto:dierk.koenig@canoo.com">mailto:dierk.koenig@canoo.com</A>]=
</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Sent: Wednesday, 16 October 2002 12:41 AM</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; To: webtest@gate.canoo.com</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Subject: RE: [Webtest] haltonfailure bug?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Hi Dan,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>haltonfailure=3Dfalse</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>means to proceed with your ANT script, although your =
current test spec</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>fails. The processing will proceed with your next =
test spec, not your</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>next test step in the failing test spec.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I guess you have a rather large test spec with lots of =
steps that get</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>executed in sequence. The solution would be to break =
this into smaller</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>test specs. </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>We found that it is useful to have one test spec per =
&quot;scenario&quot;, i.e.</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>one path through your &quot;use case&quot;, talking =
in UML terms.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>cheers</FONT>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Mittie</FONT>