[Webtest] WebTest combineded with Cactus?

webtest@lists.canoo.com webtest@lists.canoo.com
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 07:46:55 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C34D22.4983B120

Hi all,

I want to throw out this idea and see what people think.

The Problem:
I used to use WebTest extensively to test my sites, but the cost of
maintaining the scripts, and running them by hand become to much work.  I
started using Cactus to test my business objects, and that worked well.  I
then started to test my webapps using Cactus to simulate a browser.  This
would work okay for one page, but if you wanted to test a couple of pages (a
la WebTest) it became a maintence nightmare.  What was great about WebTest
was that the scripts are easy to run.  What is hard is that they aren't
integrated with the rest of my build->test->continous integration regime
using junit and cactus.

What I Want:
Use Webtest from inside Cactus to test my webapps from a browser
perspective.

I noticed that Sigi's webtest plugin is able to format the webtest output in
something that looks very close to a junit style report.  It seems to me
that similar to the way that Ant runs testcases that execercise various
build.xml test files, I could have a CactusWebTestTestCase that would run in
container the webtest scripts.  The errors etc coming from WebTest could be
treated as Junit style assert's and then be formatted using the standard
cactus tools...  Which means that when, in Maven, I click on cactus-reports,
the results of my webtest scripts will be there!

The other reason to use Cactus, instead of the maven webtest plugin is that
using Cactus I can configure my environment before running the scripts to
have everything I need.  Preset the database, generate any files, etc..  And
the script can just reference http://localhost...

Opinions?

Eric

------_=_NextPart_001_01C34D22.4983B120

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2654.89">
<TITLE>WebTest combineded with Cactus?</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Hi all,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I want to throw out this idea and see what people =
think.&nbsp; </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>The Problem:</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>I used to use WebTest extensively to test my sites, =
but the cost of maintaining the scripts, and running them by hand =
become to much work.&nbsp; I started using Cactus to test my business =
objects, and that worked well.&nbsp; I then started to test my webapps =
using Cactus to simulate a browser.&nbsp; This would work okay for one =
page, but if you wanted to test a couple of pages (a la WebTest) it =
became a maintence nightmare.&nbsp; What was great about WebTest was =
that the scripts are easy to run.&nbsp; What is hard is that they =
aren't integrated with the rest of my build-&gt;test-&gt;continous =
integration regime using junit and cactus.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>What I Want:</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Use Webtest from inside Cactus to test my webapps =
from a browser perspective.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I noticed that Sigi's webtest plugin is able to =
format the webtest output in something that looks very close to a junit =
style report.&nbsp; It seems to me that similar to the way that Ant =
runs testcases that execercise various build.xml test files, I could =
have a CactusWebTestTestCase that would run in container the webtest =
scripts.&nbsp; The errors etc coming from WebTest could be treated as =
Junit style assert's and then be formatted using the standard cactus =
tools...&nbsp; Which means that when, in Maven, I click on =
cactus-reports, the results of my webtest scripts will be there!&nbsp; =
</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>The other reason to use Cactus, instead of the maven =
webtest plugin is that using Cactus I can configure my environment =
before running the scripts to have everything I need.&nbsp; Preset the =
database, generate any files, etc..&nbsp; And the script can just =
reference <A HREF=3D"http://localhost" =
TARGET=3D"_blank">http://localhost</A>...</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Opinions?&nbsp; </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Eric</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>