[Webtest] Wrapping WebTest with FIT

Dierk Koenig webtest@lists.canoo.com
Fri, 12 Sep 2003 20:12:08 +0200

I have not yet taken the step, but I was actively thinking about it.
Actually Frank Westphal, one of the FIT pioneers, urged me to do so.

I do see the possible advantages but anyway there are some major
differences to bridge.

WebTest
Test source follows implementation source in terms of source-control
support. Tests get versioned along with the source versions.

FIT
No Test source control (?). please correct me, if I'm wrong.

WebTest
High integration into IDE in terms of writing tests with
Syntax-Highlighting, Code-Completion, Starting Tests all from
inside your IDE.

FIT
Very poor editor. Starts externally.

WebTest
perfect integration into continuous integration tools like cruisecontrol.

FIT
well, there is a command-line starter, but anyway: how could you
stop the build if a testcase fails? how do you report that? how do
you assure consistency of source vs. test versions?

---

Currently I see the benefits of FIT in "the easiest way to collect
test data". Whereas WebTest is superior when it comes to test
logic. Why not use best of two worlds then?
One could use FIT to assemble test data that get stored in e.g.
property files that feed WebTest.

What do you think?