[Webtest] best-practices? using xml/xsl and webtest to popula te data

Bill Milbratz webtest@lists.canoo.com
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 15:47:52 -0500

------=_NextPartTM-000-3b0ade14-081c-46a9-a1a4-6e6a49ad8501

------_=_NextPart_001_01C389EF.9D3AA080

>+) Are you talking about using webtest to populate the database, let's says
>have a few new business case in the database?!
Yes, basically I was talking about this. Our QA people had asked about a
means to get 'business' data in the database.

some background:
tuations:
1) some of our 'behind the scenes' processing can be complex..i.e. sometimes
1 'thing' a user sees might have 2 or 3 records supporting it..e.g. a Poll
record consists of a 'poll' record, a generic 'element' record, and ACL
records for security.

I've found having sql script/xml file, etc. w/ db information is awkard to
maintain, esp. when data for one element is spread across a few records.

2) Our application stores some information on a file system...in addition to
the database..
(e.g. for lucene-based search)..

It seemed, at a quick glance, like one could set up an xml file w/ just the
information the user typically enters on the web pages and use xsl to
generate webtest xml files to populate the system w/ that data.

This would take longer to run (most likely) than running raw sql scripts,
but the data itself would be easier to maintain, i.e. QA team could maintain
it as it would match what they type in on the web pages, i.e. not table
primary keys and foreign keys and such.

that was the idea.

I hadn't checked out dbunit or octopus yet. thanks for the tip.

bill

------_=_NextPart_001_01C389EF.9D3AA080

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>RE: [Webtest] best-practices? using xml/xsl and webtest to =
populate data</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;+) Are you talking about using webtest to =
populate the database, let's says to </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;have a few new business case in the =
database?!</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Yes, basically I was talking about this. Our QA =
people had asked about a means to get 'business' data in the =
database.</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>some background:</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>tuations:</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>1) some of our 'behind the scenes' processing can be =
complex..i.e. sometimes 1 'thing' a user sees might have 2 or 3 records =
supporting it..e.g. a Poll record consists of a 'poll' record, a =
generic 'element' record, and ACL records for security.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I've found having sql script/xml file, etc. w/ db =
information is awkard to maintain, esp. when data for one element is =
spread across a few records.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>2) Our application stores some information on a file =
system...in addition to the database..</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>(e.g. for lucene-based search)..</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>It seemed, at a quick glance, like one could set up =
an xml file w/ just the information the user typically enters on the =
web pages and use xsl to generate webtest xml files to populate the =
system w/ that data.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>This would take longer to run (most likely) than =
running raw sql scripts, but the data itself would be easier to =
maintain, i.e. QA team could maintain it as it would match what they =
type in on the web pages, i.e. not table primary keys and foreign keys =
and such.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>that was the idea.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I hadn't checked out dbunit or octopus yet. thanks =
for the tip.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>bill</FONT>
</P>