[Webtest] [build 378] improved rendering of html parser messages

Marc Guillemot webtest@lists.canoo.com
Thu, 09 Oct 2003 15:55:13 +0200

Hi,

(even if "374" is displayed on the download page, it's really the build 378)

a new build is available for download with improved rendering of html parser
messages (see http://webtest.canoo.com/selftest/TestResultOverview.html for an
example).

Details:
if config attribute showhtmlparseroutput is set to true, now "all" messages
generated by the html parser should be catched and appear as nodes in the xml
result file. The provided xslt has been adapted to benefit of the additional
information now available.

Need to be enhanced:
The html parser generates 2 kinds of messages: warnings and errors. I don't
always agree with its classification and I think that a nice future enhancement
would be to have the possibility to "reclass" the messages according to one's
own html correctness rules. For instance on my current project, I would discard
the warning:
   Warning: <table> lacks "summary" attribute
but promote this one to an error:
   Warning: <tr> isn't allowed in <body> elements
Any contribution is welcome.

Question:
Does someone use showhtmlparseroutput="false"? Should not it by true all the
time to promote html correctness (the xslt can be used as well to ignore the
warnings if needed)?

Marc.