[Webtest] making webtest continue on step failure

Michael Knapp webtest@lists.canoo.com
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 18:08:14 -0700

I don't write java, or else I'd figure this out myself, but does anyone have
a way of making webtest *continue* testing remaining steps in a testSpec
when one step fails?  If I read the documentation correctly, only successive
testSpecs will be executed, not remaining steps in the current testSpec.
The problem with  this is that it necessitates writing a multi-session test
where one isn't otherwise  wanted.

It seems to me that this should be configurable at each step with a depends
attribute (if a step depends on a previous step, therefore making halting of
that testSpec desirable) or a boolean haltOnFail attribute that would
override a global property set in the config file.

It seems to me that if i DID know java ;) i'd be able to make this
change....   has anyone else done this?  would anyone else like to?

This is the tip of the iceberg for me in encountering lots of frustration
getting WebTest to do long testSpecs, which is necessary for single-session
testing.  Does anyone else share my pain?  If so, please let me know what
you've done to resolve issues you've encountered.

Some of my other issues:  can't use ANT steps within the '<steps>' element,
like setting properties, or using echo.  Are there good reasons for this
that i'm just not grokking?

Any input appreciated.  This is still the best tool i've had the pleasure to
use for the testing i need to do, and I'm sure with more experience i'll be
able to make it do what i want; so far those techniques just aren't obvious
to me.

thanks
mike