[Webtest] Webtest and jUnit

Evan Hughes webtest@lists.canoo.com
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 17:53:28 -0400

Howdy Siegfried,

On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 07:40:56PM +0200, Siegfried G?schl wrote:
> +) AFAIK it is tied to ANT but you need some scripting anyway to
> setup a test environment, provide initialization, and so on. You can
> also wrap the ANT process into a JUNIT test.

  I'm probably going to go with faking an Ant environment:

  http://ant.apache.org/manual/antexternal.html

> +) At Together Teaml?sungen we evaluates HTTPUnit and Canoo WebTest
> and Canoo WebTest won. Not because you have the flexibility to do
> anything you want but refactoring HTTPUnit test cases plus providing
> extensive reporting would reinvent the Canoo WebTest wheel. And I
> nearly forgot to mention that a lot of Canoo WebTests were already
> running and generating reports when the other guy was still pondering
> over the problems to solve with HTTPUnit ... :-)

  I'm looking at using jWebUnit. It appears to provide a programmatic
access to HttpUnit which is quite similar to webtest's functionality.

  I'd like to keep the option of using java directly so that I can
modify external data and then perform tests.

> +) Here my answer get biased since I dropped ANT long ago and
> switched to MAVEN since MAVEN gives you a lot of tools you need for
> doing a "Clean Build and Smoke Test"

  We're testing a php application. I'm trying to follow the shortest
line between "no regression tests" and "full test suite". =)