[Webtest] Webtest and jUnit

Cardimino, Peter webtest@lists.canoo.com
Fri, 24 Oct 2003 07:56:00 -0400

There are several that I've used.
	MaxQ http://maxq.tigris.org
	TestMaker http://www.pushtotest.com/ptt
	grinder http://sourceforge.net/projects/grinder

Each generates scripts with their capture/replay tool.
Each has it's pro's & con's. All 3 have you set your
browser to a proxy that the capture/replay tool sits on
to record the conversation. They all appear to use the
HTTPClient package from Ronald Tschal=E4r. Grinder also has
it's own httpPlugin that can be used. In fact that httpPlugin
allows Grinder to capture some browser sessions the other 2
guys can't...

Hope this helps,
regards,
/peterc

-----Original Message-----
From: Siegfried G=F6schl [mailto:siegfried.goeschl@it20one.at]
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2003 7:01 AM
To: webtest@gate.canoo.com
Cc: webtest@gate.canoo.com
Subject: Re: [Webtest] Webtest and jUnit

Hi Evans,

thanks for the hint of jWebUnit - looks very interesting.=20

There was another tool out there but I can't remember its name - it=20
was a capture & replay tool creating JPhyton Scripts. It was=20
mentioned somewhere in the mailing list but I don't find it at the=20
moment.

Cheers,

Siegfried Goeschl

On 23 Oct 2003 at 17:53, Evan Hughes wrote:

> Howdy Siegfried,
>=20
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 07:40:56PM +0200, Siegfried G?schl wrote: ...
> > +) AFAIK it is tied to ANT but you need some scripting anyway to >
> setup a test environment, provide initialization, and so on. You can =
>
> also wrap the ANT process into a JUNIT test.
>=20
>   I'm probably going to go with faking an Ant environment:
>=20
>   http://ant.apache.org/manual/antexternal.html
>=20
> > +) At Together Teaml?sungen we evaluates HTTPUnit and Canoo WebTest
> > and Canoo WebTest won. Not because you have the flexibility to do
> > anything you want but refactoring HTTPUnit test cases plus =
providing
> > extensive reporting would reinvent the Canoo WebTest wheel. And I
> > nearly forgot to mention that a lot of Canoo WebTests were already
> > running and generating reports when the other guy was still
> > pondering over the problems to solve with HTTPUnit ... :-)
>=20
>   I'm looking at using jWebUnit. It appears to provide a programmatic
> access to HttpUnit which is quite similar to webtest's functionality. =

>=20
>   I'd like to keep the option of using java directly so that I can
> modify external data and then perform tests.=20
>=20
> > +) Here my answer get biased since I dropped ANT long ago and
> > switched to MAVEN since MAVEN gives you a lot of tools you need for
> > doing a "Clean Build and Smoke Test"
>=20
>   We're testing a php application. I'm trying to follow the shortest
> line between "no regression tests" and "full test suite". =3D)
>=20
>=20

Siegfried Goeschl
CTO
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
IT20one GmbH
mail: siegfried.goeschl@it20one.at
phone: +43-1-9900046