[Webtest] newB confusion on storeregex

Mike D'Ambrogia webtest@lists.canoo.com
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 15:33:03 -0700

Ok, I think I'm understanding that.  But if I understand it correctly
then I'm heading sideways with what I'm trying to do.  So I'll backup
and restate my issue.

I'm testing a series of pages (about 700) on the website, I look to see
if the entire page has displayed without any errors.  I've placed a
If the page has displayed correctly and it has no errors then I should
see a <span> tag at the bottom of the page via a verifyxpath step.  This
works great, no problems so far.

Following the webtest design methodology, since I test each and every
page on my site for the <span> tag I've created an bottom_of_page.xml
file in a ./modules subdir that I call for each page I test.

The problem comes when a page fails the verifyxpath for the span element
the bottom of the page.  Because the entire page did not display I get
an error.  That works as it should.

But the problem is that I have no idea which of the 700-odd pages is
failing.  So I'm trying to create a dynamic variable via storeregex to
pass a page name to the bottom_of_page.xml module so that when the error
displays I can show the page name within the error msg.

The procedure I use right now resembles:

Use the storeregex step to store the variable 'case.asp' into
#{pagename}
Test the case.asp page using the verifyxpath step contained in
bottom_of_page.xml

Use storeregex to store the variable 'stone.asp' into #{pagename}
Test the stone.asp page using the verifyxpath step contained in
bottom_of_page.xml

Use storeregex to store the variable 'effort.asp' into #{pagename}
Test the effort.asp page using the verifyxpath step contained in
bottom_of_page.xml

Repeat ad naseum...

Does storeregex only look for the text param value in the last page
fetched by the last invoke step?  If so them I'm not using the right
tool since those page names (case.asp, stone.asp, effort.asp) will not
be part of any pages fetched by invoke.

The bottom line problem is getting the name of the page that is failing
into the error message so I have some clue as to where to look.

Thanks for the reply, hope this is clearer.

Mike

<snip...>