[Webtest] Re: Announcement: WebTest Result Viewer - alpha ver sion

Aatish Arora webtest@lists.canoo.com
Mon, 2 Aug 2004 13:47:44 -0700 (PDT)

--0-1021353509-1091479664=:7362

Lisa, what you sounds perfect.

Chris your solution although sounds good is dangerous. Specially in cases where there are lot of changes being made to the GUI.
A small change can throw you into a turmoil.
Which is why I liked the way Webtest scripts can be handled. I had 1200 tests which I could boast of. And a lot of changes in the GUI of the AUT (application under test) dint affect me much. A little tweak with properties and ant files you can mantain your test suite easily.

On the other hand I have yet to see a recorder that will make your tests powerfull (yes even after editing them and adding verification checks). They dont make functions. The dont make GUI maps (property files in our case).

Heres one concrete example that you can use. In your scripts use properties for refrence to objects and keep all these properties in one or more property files. When there is a change to the name of any of these objects, all you have to do is change it in one file not all of them. Sounds good?
A recorder cant do such things for you.

Cheers
Aatish

Lisa Crispin <lisa.crispin@att.net> wrote:
I like the recorder to help get started, especially for a newbie. I don't think there is any danger of Canoo WebTest being mistaken for a capture/playback GUI test tool. The documentation should emphasize the purpose of the recording tool - just a little help getting started and saving some time and tedium, not something to be relied on for creating tests.
-- Lisa

-------------- Original message from "Erskine, Chris" : --------------

Although you are right that a recorder is not the answer for true testing, I feel that tying a recorder to WebTest can give you the best of both worlds. You start by recording your scripts. You add an editor which shows the page and allows you to highlight the text that you want to verify. You then edit the generated script to add the steps that you need that the recorder does not support.

The recorder is just a method to help you get started. You still need to maintain your scripts that are generated.

Chris Erskine

EDS Consulting Services
F5-EDS-001
2424 Garden of the Gods Rd