[Webtest] Re: Announcement: WebTest Result Viewer - alpha version

Aatish Arora webtest@lists.canoo.com
Mon, 2 Aug 2004 13:49:06 -0700 (PDT)

--0-2080701384-1091479746=:7851

Sorry Mittie missed the following psot of urs:

>Hm, I know this is a difficult pitch and sounds really silly, but:
>even though I'm one of the authors of the Click-O-Mat I'm still
>sure that record-replay doesn't pay off (maybe for some
>technical testing but not for business acceptance testing).

Cheers!

Aatish

Aatish Arora <a_aatish@yahoo.com> wrote:
A word of caution for recording related stuff Mittie.
Although a recording does sound great and it does impress a lot of people - including the managers - it isnt quite the way to do test automation. And this will also be emphasized by almost all Test Papers available on the web.
A recording tool can almost never be as intelligent and as powerful your scripts can be.
...and defeats the basic aim of automation - to keep costs low cause you end up recording all the time and almost never can mantain a test suite with the same.

Cheers!
Aatish

Dierk Koenig <dierk.koenig@canoo.com> wrote:

Sure, the goal is to collect some feedback before putting it
in the distribution. I think this will take a few weeks.

The long-term goal is to provide other small gizmos like this
and bundle them to an application suite. The technology is perfekt for
doing this. Other gizmos may be:
- Click-O-Mat
a MaxQ-like Recording Tool for WebTest.
A first version is running but needs some spit'n polish before
it can be released.

--0-2080701384-1091479746=:7851

<DIV>Sorry Mittie missed the following psot of urs:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&gt;Hm, I know this is a difficult pitch and sounds really silly, but:<BR>&gt;even though I'm one of the authors of the Click-O-Mat I'm still<BR>&gt;sure that record-replay doesn't pay off (maybe for some<BR>&gt;technical testing but not for business acceptance testing).<BR></DIV>
<DIV>Cheers!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Aatish<BR><BR><B><I>Aatish Arora &lt;a_aatish@yahoo.com&gt;</I></B> wrote:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">
<DIV>A word of caution for recording related stuff Mittie.</DIV>
<DIV>Although a recording does sound great and it does impress a lot of people - including the managers - it isnt quite the way to do test automation. And this will also be emphasized by almost all Test Papers available on the web.</DIV>
<DIV>A recording tool can almost never be as intelligent and as powerful your scripts can be.</DIV>
<DIV>...and defeats the basic aim of automation - to keep costs low cause you end up recording all the time and almost&nbsp;never can mantain a test suite with the same.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Cheers!</DIV>
<DIV>Aatish<BR><BR><B><I>Dierk Koenig &lt;dierk.koenig@canoo.com&gt;</I></B> wrote:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">
<P>Sure, the goal is to collect some feedback before putting it<BR>in the distribution. I think this will take a few weeks.<BR><BR>The long-term goal is to provide other small gizmos like this<BR>and bundle them to an application suite. The technology is perfekt for<BR>doing this. Other gizmos may be:<BR>- Click-O-Mat<BR>a MaxQ-like Recording Tool for WebTest.<BR>A first version is running but needs some spit'n polish before<BR>it can be released.<BR></P></BLOCKQUOTE>
<P>
<HR SIZE=1>
Do you Yahoo!?<BR>Express yourself with Y! Messenger! Free. <A href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/msgr/evt=26089/*http://messenger.yahoo.com">Download now</A>.</BLOCKQUOTE><p>
		<hr size=1>Do you Yahoo!?<br>