[Webtest] Re: Re: Custom Step StoreEncodedXPath added to the community site

Paul King webtest@lists.canoo.com
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 09:01:54 +1000

Roman Moukhine [ram] wrote:

 > ahh .... honestly speaking, accourding description of href attribute
in HTML4.0 and rfc2396 correct URL is encoded. That means
xpath="//a[@id='x']/@href' should yeld properly encoded URL (of cause if
serverside programmers did not forget to encode it :) )

 > http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html#adef-href
 > http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt

In our case, it is end-users who create documents with names like "my
glossy flier.pdf" (which we can never change) combined with software
which makes those files available directly by their name (which probably
isn't quite right but relies on browsers which always seem to fix this).
If browsers do it, shouldn't we allow webtest to?

While on this topic (regardless of whichever mechanism is decided to
implement it) I was wanting the opinion of someone more experienced with
encodings. Does anything apart from UTF-8 get used in practice. I know
that W3C recommends using UTF-8 only (see link below) but do other
encodings become necessary in other languages? I seem to recall someone
asking recently about other encodings but a quick search didn't reveal
anything useful.

http://www.w3.org/TR/html40/appendix/notes.html#non-ascii-chars

Paul.

xpath="//a[@id='x']/@href'" property="theUrl1"/>