[Webtest] Driving Tests from Tables

Dierk Koenig webtest@lists.canoo.com
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 19:33:26 +0200

Canoo WebTest has recently seen a widening of the supported usage paradigms.

It started with the "declarative" style of testing, specifying tests as ANT
XML files. This paradigm is very well suited in controlled environments
where one can test against a resonably static model. The model-driven
paradigm.

In lesser controlled environments the need arises to put more logic inside
the tests. This brings XML to its limits. For this purpose we made Groovy a
first-class citizen in Canoo WebTest supporting the script-driven paradigm.

Now with the new PropertyTable we also support the data-driven paradigm.
Test data can be managed in tables of different formats and joined and
filtered very easily. The data actually "drives" your test as it effectively
defines your "suite".

Talking about testing paradigms would be incomplete without "record/replay".
The Click-O-Mat covers some of this territory, i.e. that part that we feel
helpful.

Mittie

see:
http://webtest-community.canoo.com/wiki/space/PropertyTable