[Webtest] Driving Tests from Tables

Ji Kim webtest@lists.canoo.com
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 18:04:55 -0700

I think this is a great feature for Canoo. This is quite fancy with
table format, join and filter. Thank you for all your work.

I tried the examples. And the filterclass=3D"Copy" doesn't seem to work.
(=3D"ALL" perhaps?) And the documentation doesn't list that particular
value.=20

Somehow, from the previous discussion about using data-driven test
scripts, I had the impression that the new feature would be an
additional tag within <testSpec> to support a CSV file for example. I
had expected that this was a way to avoid the problem of not being able
to load the changing variable within the <repeat> loop. So, I tried
using <propertytable> within a test script w/o thinking it through.
Actually, the test script would be an embedded element within
<propertytable> that is executed for each set of properties generated.
This may not always be compatible to the way people already set up their
test scripts. For example, if I have a web page where I login and there
are a set of links to check for navigation, then I have to invoke the
login page for each target link. Perhaps, I should take the opportunity
to rethink the test cases and how to break into smaller pieces.

-----Original Message-----
From: webtest-admin@gate2.canoo.com
[mailto:webtest-admin@gate2.canoo.com] On Behalf Of Dierk Koenig
Sent: Friday, September 17, 2004 10:33 AM
To: webtest@gate2.canoo.com
Subject: [Webtest] Driving Tests from Tables

Canoo WebTest has recently seen a widening of the supported usage
paradigms.

It started with the "declarative" style of testing, specifying tests as
ANT XML files. This paradigm is very well suited in controlled
environments where one can test against a resonably static model. The
model-driven paradigm.

In lesser controlled environments the need arises to put more logic
inside the tests. This brings XML to its limits. For this purpose we
made Groovy a first-class citizen in Canoo WebTest supporting the
script-driven paradigm.

Now with the new PropertyTable we also support the data-driven paradigm.
Test data can be managed in tables of different formats and joined and
filtered very easily. The data actually "drives" your test as it
effectively defines your "suite".

Talking about testing paradigms would be incomplete without
"record/replay".
The Click-O-Mat covers some of this territory, i.e. that part that we
feel helpful.

Mittie

see:
http://webtest-community.canoo.com/wiki/space/PropertyTable