[Webtest] [dev] discussions

Marc Guillemot webtest@lists.canoo.com
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:49:37 +0200

Hi Dierk,

>>it's a general consideration. One of the last cases was the
>>introduction of Jetty.
>
> I discussed this with Denis face-to-face. He is very proficient in
> creating self-contained builds (and not only there).

that's the point, discussions aren't in a dev mailing list but private.

>>What I'm missing is some discussion on a "road map" or when
>>something has been done, some explaination on the reason.
>
> Feel free to ask about any puzzles.
>
> As far as changes are observable to the user, I try my very best to
> explain it on the http://webtest-community.canoo.com blog and on this list.
> As far as developers are concerned I try to give good comments in
> the CVS (but admittedly not always) that can be easily explored
> through http://webtest.canoo.com/fisheye/ .

the quality of the CVS commit is not always that good and it gives only a ponctual information, nothing on the "big
picture".

> A "road map" doesn't really fit with webtest as the development is
> very opportunity driven. The great possiblity of using Groovy was never
> foreseen. Same with the currently integrated Applet testing support.
> But we could certainly introduce a file /todo.txt to keep track of
> already identified issues.
> Would this address your needs?

as a result of a discussion yes.

>>For example the selftests are now as small files in the selftests
>>dir what is really a good thing to simplify/clean up
>>the source structure but for instance why are the old versions
>>always in place?
>
> Obsolete files should be deleted.
> Please do so if you find any.
> There is no reason to keep them.

the problem in such a case is that you are the only person that can/has to do that. Indeed, you've started a change but
apparently didn't do it completely. As I can't know if you just forgot it, or made it intentionally, I can't delete the
files.

In a separate mail, I'll describe some propositions to discuss concerning webtest dev.

Marc.