[Webtest] OutOfMemoryError

Dierk Koenig webtest@lists.canoo.com
Fri, 24 Sep 2004 09:17:57 +0200

Hi Greg,

there are two major reasons for excessive memory consumption:
1) too many calls to taskdef
2) large result (xml) files

ad 1)
every time your tests hit a taskdef a new classloader is
constructed reading all webtest (httunit, etc.) classes in Memory.
Try having only one taskdef. The /selftests dir that comes with the
doc.zip give an example on how to do that.

ad 2)
when collecting too many results in one xml file the "append" to that
file first reads the file, parses it, does the append and writes it back.
This can result in a large memory consumption for large suites.
Solutions:
a) use the PlainTextReporter if its output is good enough for your
   purposes
b) use a new xml file for each test or sub-suite and merge them
   afterwards
I'm afraid we don't have an example for this, yet.

In our environment 2000 Steps is an upper limit for
what we put into one result.xml. A few hundred would be a typical value.

cheers