[Webtest] Load test?

Paul King webtest@lists.canoo.com
Tue, 04 Apr 2006 06:29:50 +1000

There is nothing stopping you from trying to use WebTest for load
testing - that's just not what it has been designed to do at
present (or in the near future). If you want to simulate large
loads you will probably need to fork off several processes
(see the fork="true" attribute on exec or java tasks) as we haven't
done any formal testing with WebTest using the ant <parallel> task
to confirm that it is thread safe. If you do have several processes
you will probably also need to have separate results directories
as there is no support for merging the results of separate runs
to make it appear like one run - though I guess you could do this
with XSLT manually.

One approach that may be useful is to apply a base load
(perhaps using WebTest with no reporting,
perhaps using Grinder, or even perhaps parallel waitFor's)
then run your normal WebTest script and monitor the times you get
back. There is even a timedGroup step which you might find useful.
Just remember that the timings you get back from WebTest involve
both ant and WebTest's simulated browser (in addition to the
server delays) - so that may not be easy to relate to timings
that a browser would see (i.e. browser delays plus server delays).

Regards, Paul.