[Webtest] [Announces] Agile 2006, Groovy in Action

Paul King webtest@lists.canoo.com
Tue, 16 May 2006 19:26:20 +1000

Marc Guillemot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just discovered that Paul King ("our" Paul King, Webtest committer)
> will hold 2 tutorials about Webtest in the coming Agile Conference
> (Minneapolis, July 23-28) [1, 2]. (Paul, Lisa, you could have told us
> earlier! ;-))
>
> Paul, can you tell a bit more about your tutorials? The conference is not
> yet sold out and perhaps will some subscribers of this mailing list want to
> go to your tutorials to get information from the source.

Thanks for the plug Marc. Yes, early-bird registration closes at the end
of next week, so now is a good time to be considering the conference.
There really is an incredible list of topics/speakers.

As far as I know I am only giving the one tutorial - it is what they
call a "long tutorial" taking up two tutorial slots, i.e. we have
most of the afternoon to go through the capabilities of WebTest.

The topics I am planning to go through include:

• Introduction: Issues involved in testing web applications, advantages and disadvantages of various approaches

• Available alternative tools: Watir, Selenium, jWebUnit/HttpUnit/HtmlUnit/Jiffie,
    PushToTest, Jameleon, Solex, XmlUnit (short overview)

• Ant Summary: Ant for Newbies (short overview only)

• WebTest Basics: configuration, structuring and grouping tests, control, reporting

• Testing Page Content: text on a page, using XPath, using Regular Expressions, testing links (includes lab)

• Working with Forms: checking fields, setting fields, submitting forms (includes lab)

• Testing JavaScript: simple usage scenarios, enabling and disabling, emulating browser behaviour (short overview)

• Using Scripting in tests: using the power of scripting within your tests (includes lab)

• Advanced Topics: Testing cookies, HTTP headers, SSL, Custom Steps, Data-driven tests, Tips and Tricks (overview)

• Testing non-HTML pages: XML, PDFs, Excel spreadsheets, Files, Emails, Databases (short overview)

• Available Tools: Recorders, Reporting Tools (short overview)

Time is quite short but I am hoping to have labs. The logistics
are still being worked out but as a minimum I will "demo" the labs and
people with their own laptops will be able to follow along if they wish
and I think all attendees will have the canned examples that they
can take home if time runs too short.

The tutorial will be oriented towards examples and pragmatic advice
with guidance on using WebTest within an Agile development/testing regime.

If anyone does attend, be sure to say hello.

Cheers, Paul.