[Webtest] Host of problems in building Canoo Webtest

Marc Guillemot webtest@lists.canoo.com
Fri, 26 May 2006 02:45:18 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Jon,

sorry for the difficulties building webtest from source. I agree that our
build process is too complicated (I have my self too often problems).

> So, I have a number of questions.
> 1)       Where are all the missing jar files, and why are they not
> included in the release?

Webtest has started using a maven pom for its dependencies. When the
fetchDependencies target is run, the dependencies are downloaded from a
maven repository and saved in your local repository. To make them available
to eclipse, you can add them manually (they must be in
YOUR_HOME_DIR/.m2/repository) or install maven 2 and use the eclipse plugin
to generate your .classpath file [1]. Because the move to the pom is not
complete, you still need to add some jars manually to the classpath

> 2)       Why do the pdf related tests repeatedly fail, and why does the
> build continue to fail after I=E2=80=99d apparently removed the tests?

no idea. They run correctly on my Linux and Windows computers as well as on
the build server and on the computers of the other committers. You need to
investigate more.

> 3)       Why is there no task in the ant build file that will allow me to
> build Webtest without having to run all of these tests?

it's probably a feature ;-(
Personally I often add the classes generated by Eclipse to my classpath whe=
I try to develop something new with WebTest. First when it works correctly =
run the heavy build process.

> 4)       Why is the generated Webtest.dtd completely empty after the
> build? Is it because the build failed because of the failing tests?

I've seen this once too. As far as I remember the DTD is generated with the
documentation. It's probably the wrong place.

I hope my answers help you going further.

Marc.

[1] http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-eclipse-plugin/overview.html
lding+Canoo+Webtest-t1685787.html#a4573340
Sent from the WebTest forum at Nabble.com.