[Webtest] Re: Interest for a Webtest Eclipse plugin?

Ralf Müller webtest@lists.canoo.com
Tue, 13 Jun 2006 14:26:26 +0200

Marc Guillemot wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I think that a dedicated IDE support for WebTest could bring real confort
> and efficienty and I'd like to start a WebTest Eclipse Plugin project as
> sub-project (or related project) of WebTest.

Sounds great.

> Some of the features I can imagine in such a plugin are (unsorted):
> - advanced editing support

I already noticed that the ant plugin somehow supports webtest. At least
the webtest and steps tags. It seems that the sourcecode has to be
rearranged in order to have a better support. It seems that the plugin
tries to get all needed information from the class files.

> - WebTest help integration
> - wizards to quicky start a new webtest project
> - integrated recorder (a bit like the Firefox plugin I've already presented
> but integrated in Eclipse)
> - a "run as WebTest" command launching selected test within the normal
> complete WebTest setup
> - a kind of debugger allowing to set breakpoints and visualize the received
> pages while the test runs
> - the possibility to continue manual or automatic surf from an executed test
> - ...

sounds like a lot of work, but really great!

> All these features will surely not be present at the first day ;-)
>
> Before starting the project it would be interesting to know:
> - if someone has already tried something in this direction
> - who would use such a plugin
> - if some WebTest users have Eclipse plugin development knowledge and would
> like to contribute

As I tried to state above - I tried to get my ant plugin to work with
the "webtest-ant" and was surprised to see that (with a little bit of
configuration) it knows about those webtest tasks.
It's also been easy to configure an external tool to present a popup
which asks for the targets to execute and runs webtest. All output is
easily directed to the eclipse console. This way, working with webtest
is a lot better...

Cheers,
Ralf