[Webtest] RE: Interest for a Webtest Eclipse plugin?

Marc Guillemot webtest@lists.canoo.com
Wed, 14 Jun 2006 00:07:18 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

Thanks to all for your answers and thanks to Dierk/Canoo to offer the
hosting.

As you've mentionned, Eclipse already has (or can have with a correct
project setup) a good support to work with ant files, with code completion,
syntax highlighting. hyperlinks to jump in entities definitions or macro
definition, ... Some of these functionalities are sometimes buggy (at least
with 3.1) but still makes an excellent basis to develop webtest specific
functionalities. Integration of the Gecko rendering engine is already done
in the ATF project and we surely can look at it to implement the recorder.
All in one: making a good WebTest Eclipse Plugin should not be impossible as
a lot has already be done in the Eclipse ecosystem.

I think that the best place for a WebTest Eclipse plugin is by Canoo near to
WebTest as kindly proposed by Dierk.

I see 3 points that need to be decided before to start:

- project name:
WebTest Eclipse Plugin would be ok or has someone a better proposition?

- license
as far as I remember has WebTest a kind of Apache 1 licence. For the plugin
we can but don't have to take the same one.

- target Eclipse version
3.2 will soon be out and it will surely be largely used when the first
"really interesting" version of the WebTest plugin is ready. Therefore I
think that we can directly target 3.2.

I think that - at least in a first time - no dedicated mailing list is
needed and that we can use (misuse?) the WebTest mailing list for the plugin
project.

Any thoughts,

Sent from the WebTest forum at Nabble.com.