[Webtest] Propostion: Standard directory layout for a WebTest project

Marc Guillemot webtest@lists.canoo.com
Thu, 29 Jun 2006 07:11:58 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Paul,

according to your remarks, I think that I haven't been as precise as I
wanted:

> - Would we permit subdirectories under tests, environment, definitions
> etc?
>   (I think we would have to)

sure

> - Will the structure make it easy to work with Eclipse/IntelliJ? (I have
>  always found it hard to use WTP to do XML validation and also have
>  relative paths to DTDs (e.g. ../dtds/webtest.dtd) and entity declarations
> etc.)

to some extend, yes. IDEs have a good support... when tests are "correctly"
set up. For the rest, we will have to wait for WebTestClipse ;-)

- definitions.xml -> definitions?

??
definitions.xml is a ant file generated from the content of the definitions
directory

> - BC issue: will a fixed structure make life a nightmare for existing
> users?

absolutely not. No necessity to move

> - Is there a reason for macro declaration to be through entities and not
>  just imported directly?

to keep code shorter, the files within definitions dir don't need to be full
ant files (that could be imported) but only the macros themselves

> - I am a big Groovy fan but we should support JRuby and JavaScript etc
>  scripts too

Groovy was just an example. I meant anything that has to be executed once
before the tests run.

> - We need to make it easy for reports to be somewhere else (it is the
> only directory not part of the source tree)

yep. All locations will be defined with properties that can be "overriden"
with other values

> - We should think a bit about data-driven tests (would all that belong
>  in environment?) Maybe we could support 'data' too eventually.

how would you use your content from the data dir?

> I would be happy to help flesh out and trial something.

thanks for the help. I have already nearly all ingredients, I just need to
find time to mix them together ;-)

Sent from the WebTest forum at Nabble.com.