[Webtest] RE: Webtest for JS and dynamic webpages

Craig Copeland Craig Copeland <craig_a_copeland@yahoo.com>
Mon, 16 Oct 2006 07:22:32 -0700 (PDT)

Howdy Marc,

See inline below.  Also, since I'm not very familiar with ant, it took a while
to find #4 (echo), but it's become very helpful.

Craig

> Hi Craig,
>
> these tricks are very interesting. What about putting them in the Wiki
> (in a first time)? I suppose that such information is missing because
> none of the WebTest committers has a QA role like yours.
>
> Some additional comments/questions:
>
> 1) you can use
> <enableJavaScript .../>
> to locally enable/disable javascript support
Right.  This would give more granular control.

> 2) just curious: why do you need to set
> throwExceptionOnFailingStatusCode to false?
There are situations in our product where the server disconnects instead of
allowing the client to close the connection, especially when the client submits
a request to reboot the server/box.  We use tomcat as the application server,
but we write our own SSL/SSH front end and then serve the request to tomcat on
localhost in the clear.  I think we just do the disconnect a bit different from
the standards in these situations and the mainstream user agents are slightly
more relaxed about the standards.  (I've not looked at it too closely though.)

> 3) Not sure to really understand what is the aim of this. You want to
> verify the debug messages?
I use this to verify the outcome of particular JS calls where I believe there
may be problems, but the outcome isn't explicitly shown.  This is how I found
the issue where table.rows[0].cells.length was returning 0 when the first
element was <TH> instead of <TD>.  Perhaps there is a way to send output to a
Java or Javascript Console, but I don't know how to do that.