[Webtest] RE: Webtest for JS and dynamic webpages

Craig Copeland Craig Copeland <craig_a_copeland@yahoo.com>
Mon, 23 Oct 2006 08:14:08 -0700 (PDT)

>>> 3) Not sure to really understand what is the aim of this. You want to
>>> verify the debug messages?
>> I use this to verify the outcome of particular JS calls where I believe
there
>> may be problems, but the outcome isn't explicitly shown.  This is how I
found
>> the issue where table.rows[0].cells.length was returning 0 when the first
>> element was <TH> instead of <TD>.  Perhaps there is a way to send output to
>> Java or Javascript Console, but I don't know how to do that.
>
>aren't the message on the console enough for such debug purposes?
>
>Marc.
Typically, yes.  But when you start to hit JavaScript issues, the debug message
you get is only the start of what you need.  You typically will get some sort
of error message, a line number, and maybe a stack trace.  Usually there are a
number of variables inside the JS that the logic depends upon as well as
internal function calls and then the basic JS itself.  A debugger complete with
variable watch, watchlists, breakpoints, stepwise iteration, etc would
definitely make it easier in these situations.

Thanks,
Craig