[Webtest] Displaying pages modified by Javascript in Webtest results

Sat, 16 Dec 2006 10:56:31 +0100

Hi Dan,

I think that the possibility to save "the current state" of a page on
the file system makes sens, particularly with the increased use of
javascript on the client side.
Nevertheless saving systematically the current state of the page after
each action (setXxxx, clickXxxx) would cost time and place on the file
system: for instance a 100 ko html page would be saved 16 times if 15
fields are set on it (the original response + the 15 setXxxx steps). On
the other side it may be sometimes useful to "see" the page state after
a setXxx even if no DOM change has been triggered to understand which
field has been set (for instance when fields are not easy to identify to
be sure that the test took the right one).

What about following:
- add a step like <dumpCurrentResponse/> in WebTest allowing to
explicitely save the current state of the current response to the file
system (if I correctly remember this has already been mentioned on the
mailing list)
- provide the possibility to configure when the current state of a page
has to be saved when no new page is loaded. I see currently following
possibilities:
   - never (what is currently done)
   - on DOM structure change (ie when nodes are added or removed BUT not
for instance when only form attribute values change). This could make
sense as the default value.
   - after each change in the html page (node added or removed as well
as attributes changed.

Marc.