[Webtest] Re: webtest cannot handle the lack of a secure certificate in our test environment

John and Pip John and Pip" <pipandjohn@gmail.com
Tue, 19 Dec 2006 22:58:46 +1300

------=_Part_1319_29072309.1166522326065

Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd give a final post on this. I don't believe there was any
actual problem in WebTest, but rather issues with me trying to juggle the
complex proxy settings, and a limitation of WebTest or my knowledge of it.

I this case the situation I have is a flight booking engine running under
https, and where I can either access it through a specific proxy, that lets
me use the same URLs as the public site, but hit whichever test environment
matches the proxy, or I can access it through a direct URL to a local server
- no proxy required. The login/registration pages through live under a
separate secure domain, where only the proxy approach works. So to support
flows through our booking pages, that require login or registration (which
branches off to the other site, then back) I have to use the proxy approach
to hit the test environment rather than the direct URLs. The problem with
this, and the reason I use direct URLs when just testing the booking engine
on it's own, is that the pages contain some links to public web URIs e.g.
for google analytics and similar stuff. These make the WebTest fail because
they are not accessible through the test environment proxies.

So, I think I need to be able to use different proxies for different
domains. Is it possible to do this with WebTest / HTMLUnit? If not is it a
possible future enhancement?

Appreciate all your help - we are pretty much full steam ahead now and I've
done a lot of work setting things up with three sets of sample tests, to try
to make our tests highly readable and extensible by avoiding all
duplication. I have one other problem but I'll post separately.

regards,
        John