[Webtest] Re: WebTest Several Questions

Thu, 05 Apr 2007 13:44:37 +0200

Hi Gary,

Gary Fay wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a few questions and was wondering if I could get the information
> here.
>
> 1) I work with  Adobe products and I am trying to move into Flex (Flash)
> does (will) Webtest support
> testing the Flash/Flex client side? (Adobe and/or Mercury have some sort
> of plug in .,...)

currently not but it may come if someone is motivated to integrate it ;-)
I've had a look for some time on OpenSource java Flash clients that
could be used. If I correctly remember, I've found 1 or 2 but they only
supported older version of flash.

> 2) Does Groovy add special capabilites, or just a different way to call
> the same tags. I scanned in the bookstore Groovy in Action and "The"
> Grails book but it seemed like the same tag functions in Groovy as java
> statements.

I'm not sure to really understand the question.
The <groovy> step (just like the <scriptStep>, but the WebTest
committers prefer Groovy because it's so nice) allows you to easily do
things that are not natively supported by WebTest just within your test.
This isn't a weakness sign of webtest: no matter which test tool you
use, you will earlier or later come to a point where you need to
adapt/extend it. In the case of WebTest, this is really easy.

> 3) I found the question below interesting but I did not see the answer I
> expected.
> Does / how does Webtest support AJAX request HTTPXMLRequest object.
> I am trying to test an app that uses Rico / (dowdybrown.com) 's LiveGrid
> control and am having trouble

seems that I've missed this question.

The problems WebTest (in fact htmlunit) has with AJAX are not related
with XMLHttpRequest which is supported since a long time but to other js
usages made in some AJAX libraries.
For instance concerning prototype, one of the problems concerned the
prototype chains of the javascript DOM objects what is not related to
XMLHttpRequest. This point is now fixed in htmlunit's SVN (ie post
release 1.11) what allows to test pages using prototype's Ajax.Updater.
I don't have currently any experience or information concerning Rico.

> 3.1) Would Groovy be helpful for #3 doing Ajax Requests?

it is totally unrelated

Marc.