[Webtest] Out of memory when running WebTest

Rob Manthey Rob Manthey <canoo@rob.manthey.id.au>
Tue, 24 Apr 2007 12:23:57 +1000


[I finally found the correct address that I am subscribed to this list via]

Just so you don't think you're "Pat Malone", I have all these same
problems and have had them since I started using webtest years ago.
Yes, I have tried all the tips given so far (except the UTF one, that's
a new one to me) and I still get the memory usage accumulating until the
cpu finally is doing nothing but trying to manage memory and there
endeth the tests. "kaboom".
Yes I have a medium (not huge, not trivial) amount of tests doing very
ordinary things; no radical architecture or js libraries in use.  If you
search back through the archives you'll find a regular history of
concerns about this memory bloat.  Despite a number of on and off list
attempts to crack the problem on my set of tests, I still have the
problem and I split my tests into 3 large but consumable groups run via
a *shell script* to absolutely dump the jvm between tests.  This works
but its grotty - I would get "marked down in an exam" - so I wouldn't be
shouting it from the rooftops as a success.
RM

on 21/04/07 03:40 Tim Miller said the following:
> I added the <enableJavaScript enable="false"/> to each webtest and ran
> the tests. System memory remained at about 1.3 GB and tests completed
> without running out of memory. Of course all tests failed as JavaScript
> is required to have some of the forms appear on the page. With
> JavaScript enabled system would be using about 2.9 GB of memory. First
> failed step returns:
>
> com.canoo.webtest.engine.StepFailedException: No suitable form found
> having field named "field", Step: SetSelectField at
> D:\home\qauser01\toolsv40\PortalTests\tests\common\steps\setAlertFilter.
> xml:6: with (taskName="setSelectField")
>
> I noticed that each returned page contains a JavaScript definition for
> the menu items on the page which is fairly large. Our system uses a
> third-party JavaScript package for menu handling.
>
> Tim
>
>
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: webtest-admin@lists.canoo.com
> [mailto:webtest-admin@lists.canoo.com]
> > On Behalf Of Marc Guillemot
> > Sent: Friday, April 20, 2007 1:08 AM
> > To: webtest@lists.canoo.com
> > Subject: Re: [Webtest] Out of memory when running WebTest
> > 
> > Hi Tim,
> > 
> > the WebTestResults.xml doesn't help.
> > 
> > Is it possible to run your tests with js disabled? This would allow to
> > see if the problem is related to that.
> > 
> > Marc.
> > 
> > Tim Miller wrote:
> > > No PDF or Excel files are processed, there is some JS in the pages.
> > > About 214 result pages are returned. I switched to a larger machine
> with
> > > 8 GB and was able to run 8 of the tests successfully, though the
> last
> > > test took some time to complete. I then enabled the remaining 4
> tests
> > > and got an out of memory. I have some sqlunit calls which return a
> very
> > > small amount of data, 1 or 2 rows. I have not done any profiling as
> yet.
> > > I can provide you with the WebTestResults.xml which is about 779 KB
> if
> > > that is any help.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Tim
> > >
> > >> -----Original Message-----
> > >> From: webtest-admin@lists.canoo.com
> > > [mailto:webtest-admin@lists.canoo.com]
> > >> On Behalf Of Marc Guillemot
> > >> Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2007 8:28 AM
> > >> To: webtest@lists.canoo.com
> > >> Subject: Re: [Webtest] Out of memory when running WebTest
> > >>
> > >> Quite strange. I'm used to run test sequence more than 100 times
> > > bigger
> > >> than yours without problem.
> > >>
> > >> Have you tried to profile WebTest to see where is the lost memory?
> Is
> > > JS
> > >> involved? PDF files? Excel files? Many windows?
> > >>
> > >> Marc.
> > >>
> > >> Tim Miller wrote:
> > >>> I have a project which contains 12 WebTests, each WebTest contains
> > >>> approximately 50-60 steps. I can only run 4 of the WebTests at a
> > > time.
> > >>> Anything more and I get an out of memory. Each WebTest seems to
> use
> > >>> about .1 GB of memory when it runs, the memory usage never goes
> down
> > >>> once each WebTest completes. Eventually, it just locks up the
> > > machine
> > >>> then returns out of memory. I have 2 GB of memory on the machine.
> > >>>
> > >>>
> > >>>
> > >>> WebTest is run from an Ant script which runs java on
> > >>> org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher, fork=true, maxmemory=1024m.
> > >>>
> > >>>
> > >>>
> > >>> WebTest: build 1453
> > >>>
> > >>> Ant: 1.6.5 (also tried 1.7.0)
> > >>>
> > >>>
> > >>>
> > >>> I am including the WebTest taskdef only once as was suggested in
> > > eariler
> > >>> discussions. I am using the xml results output. Any ideas?
> > >>>
> > >>>
> > >>>
> > >>> Tim
> > >>>
> > >>>
> > >>>
> > >>> (This email message is for the sole use of the intended
> recipient(s)
> > > and
> > >>> may contain confidential information.  Any unauthorized review,
> use,
> > >>> disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the
> > > intended
> > >>> recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy
> all
> > >>> copies of the original message.)
> > >>>
> > >>>
> > >>>
> > >> _______________________________________________
> > >> WebTest mailing list
> > >> WebTest@lists.canoo.com
> > >> http://lists.canoo.com/mailman/listinfo/webtest
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > WebTest mailing list
> > > WebTest@lists.canoo.com
> > > http://lists.canoo.com/mailman/listinfo/webtest
> > >
> > 
> > _______________________________________________
> > WebTest mailing list
> > WebTest@lists.canoo.com
> > http://lists.canoo.com/mailman/listinfo/webtest
> _______________________________________________
> WebTest mailing list
> WebTest@lists.canoo.com
> http://lists.canoo.com/mailman/listinfo/webtest
>