[Webtest] JWebUnit style plugin

Ed Smith Ed Smith <edsmithed@yahoo.com>
Wed, 6 Jun 2007 05:40:14 -0700 (PDT)

You could factor out an HTMLUnit-independent interface for test engines that included every feature of HTMLUnit, implement the plugin concept, and see if anybody writes a plugin for any other engine (if they could make it fit the interface).  This should mitigate concerns over degrading to LCD.  Maintain the Selenium (or whatever) plugin as a subproject.  If it falls behind, then it will encourage its users to make a contribution without impacting the core WebTest.  Sort of a "Build it and see if they come" approach.

----- Original Message ----
From: Paul King <paulk@asert.com.au>
To: webtest@lists.canoo.com
Sent: Wednesday, June 6, 2007 6:46:44 AM
Subject: Re: [Webtest] JWebUnit style plugin

Ed Smith wrote:
> JWebUnit 2.X proposes the interesting idea of plugins.  You specify tests in JWebUnit lingo, but how the test is performed depends on the plugin.  You can choose from HTMLUnit or Selenium as your "real" tester.  Of course, this is all theoretical in JWebUnit as version 2.X isn't even working.  Has any consideration been given to taking this approach with WebTest?

WebTest was originally based on HttpUnit before we moved to HtmlUnit.
At the time, we briefly considered whether we could make a plugin API
so that you could plug in either of HttpUnit or HtmlUnit into WebTest.
We decided against that as it tends to lead to (though it doesn't always
have to) lowest common denominator APIs. By tightly integrating HtmlUnit
we can make use of any features within it that we need. Also, over time,
having multiple pluggable web engines requires considerably more time
investment if you want to try to keep them all up to date. Maybe if
we had 2 or 3 times as many committers we might be able to pull that
off but it wouldn't be easy.

Paul.