[Webtest] Trunk build fails on MacBook Pro Leopard

Paul Beck Paul Beck <pbeck@nearinfinity.com>
Sun, 06 Jul 2008 00:03:03 -0400

I am attempting a build of WebTest on a MB Pro with 2Gb memory and Java 5
installed. I am getting the following build errors, building on command line
or within IntelliJ.

-compile:
     [echo] compile base classes
    [javac] Compiling 216 source files to
/Users/pbeck/workspace/webtest/build/classes/plain
    [javac]
/Users/pbeck/workspace/webtest/src/main/java/com/canoo/webtest/engine/xpath/
SimpleXPathFunctionResolver.java:31: cannot find symbol
    [javac] symbol  : method
installFunction(java.lang.String,java.lang.Class<capture of ? extends
org.apache.xpath.functions.Function>)
    [javac] location: class org.apache.xpath.compiler.FunctionTable
    [javac]         funcTable_.installFunction(_functionName.getLocalPart(),
_class);
    [javac]                   ^
    [javac]
/Users/pbeck/workspace/webtest/src/main/java/com/canoo/webtest/engine/xpath/
XPathHelper.java:328: cannot find symbol
    [javac] symbol  : constructor
XPath(java.lang.String,<nulltype>,com.canoo.webtest.engine.xpath.PrefixResol
ver,int,<nulltype>,org.apache.xpath.compiler.FunctionTable)
    [javac] location: class org.apache.xpath.XPath
    [javac]             org.apache.xpath.XPath xpath = new
org.apache.xpath.XPath(expression, null,
    [javac]                                                ^
    [javac] Note: Some input files use or override a deprecated API.
    [javac] Note: Recompile with -Xlint:deprecation for details.
    [javac] Note: Some input files use unchecked or unsafe operations.
    [javac] Note: Recompile with -Xlint:unchecked for details.
    [javac] 2 errors

I looked in xalan-2.7.0-src.jar, and found the supposed undefined method
installFunction. So, do I have a classpath issue somehow? I am building with
webtest clean develop as per the instructions. I followed the instructions
on the website for building, checking out from svn in WEBTEST_HOME. The
instructions imply that you can do the build from WEBTEST_HOME, however the
build file is checked out from the repository into the webtest subdirectory.
Unless I am doing something wrong, the instructions do not work as written:

To generate a complete release, including the documentation, type:
cd <WEBTEST_HOME>
bin/webtest.sh full

Can someone please help with this build?

Paul Beck