[Webtest] initiating new webtest project

Wieland, Erica Wieland, Erica" <Erica_Wieland@sra.com
Tue, 24 Jan 2012 10:37:37 -0500


This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------_=_NextPart_001_01CCDAAE.1A0F1FC5
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Michael,

=20

We have the majority of our application being tested by Canoo, with all
Groovy based tests.

=20

Some of the pitfalls have to do with there being little documentation
around Groovy usage in the Canoo documentation. At times, it has been
trial and error translating the XML-based documentation to the Groovy
implementation. Also, it has been frustrating the way the Canoo plugin
for Grails runs the Canoo tests.

=20

Overall, though, Groovy has allowed us to write a very robust test suite
with very little code duplication, and keep our tests clean.

=20

We have had some challenges with controlling the order our tests within
a test suite run, and have not been successful with any of the
suggestions provided to us to date. It seems to have to do with the way
the tests are run as part of Grails test-app. In addition, the tendancy
of the plugin to report that tests succeed after they hit a runtime
exception and actually fail (rather than failing a test step per se) is
troubling. I have made some minor modifications to the plugin to attempt
to address some of our issues, but not these ones, yet. I'd love to see
the Grails plugin updated as well, as it is now more than a year old.

=20

Erica Wieland

SRA International Inc.


------_=_NextPart_001_01CCDAAE.1A0F1FC5
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Michael,<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>We have the =
majority of our application being tested by Canoo, with all Groovy based =
tests.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Some of the pitfalls have to do with there being =
little documentation around Groovy usage in the Canoo documentation. At =
times, it has been trial and error translating the XML-based =
documentation to the Groovy implementation. Also, it has been =
frustrating the way the Canoo plugin for Grails runs the Canoo =
tests.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Overall, though, Groovy has allowed us to write a very =
robust test suite with very little code duplication, and keep our tests =
clean.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>We have had some challenges with controlling the order =
our tests within a test suite run, and have not been successful with any =
of the suggestions provided to us to date. It seems to have to do with =
the way the tests are run as part of Grails test-app. In addition, the =
tendancy of the plugin to report that tests succeed after they hit a =
runtime exception and actually fail (rather than failing a test step per =
se) is troubling. I have made some minor modifications to the plugin to =
attempt to address some of our issues, but not these ones, yet. =
I&#8217;d love to see the Grails plugin updated as well, as it is now =
more than a year old.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Erica =
Wieland<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>SRA International =
Inc.<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------_=_NextPart_001_01CCDAAE.1A0F1FC5--